CNA Certification for LPNs in Gerontology
NNPBC was thrilled with the recent announcement by the Canadian Nurses Association (CNA) about certification for LPNs in the area of Gerontology. As CNA's only jurisdictional partner, we wanted to provide some clarity around the certification process for LPNs in order to dispel any misconceptions.
Here are the facts:
- NNPBC is the only jurisdictional representative in British Columbia for all nursing designations (LPN, NP, RN & RPN).
- For 2019 if you want to become a CNA member, you must first join NNPBC and then join CNA for $60.60 (plus applicable taxes). This will provide savings of an extra $150.
- LPNs wanting to save an extra $150 must be a CNA member.
- LPNs can apply for the certification via any national or provincial specialty association, this includes the Canadian Gerontological Nursing Association (CGNA), however in order to save an additional $150 they will need to be a member of their provincial association which is NNPBC.
- Certification can only be applied for on the CNA website and being an NNPBC member is a requirement. There is an option to register as a non member which will require an additional $150.
- Individual membership with any national association, including CGNA, is only for that speciality association membership, it is not a direct membership to CNA.
- Specialty associations, including CGNA, have organizational membership with CNA, which is membership for the specialty organization. This does not include individuals as CNA members, they are different. However, individuals belonging to CGNA are eligible for a 20% discount on their LPN Gerontology exam.
Join our informational webinars
To support further questions about certification and learn how you can prepare, NNPBC and CNA are pleased to be co-hosting two webinars for LPNs in August.
Reserve Your Spot Now!
Thursday, August 15, 2019 - 12pm PST
Friday, August 16, 2019 - 10am PST
Not able to make an info session? Sign up anyway and you will receive access to the recording.
BC Study Group for Gerontology and Medical-Surgical Nursing
Lillian Hung & Jenifer Tabamo.
Please contact Lilian or Jenifer by email for more information at firstname.lastname@example.org